It’s my turn to write a post for the week. I sat down to write about healthcare and explainer animations, but instead felt distracted by this realization that I’m writing from a mostly empty office at 6:05pm… and there’s nowhere else I would rather be.
So instead of the usual animation-focused post, I’d love to share a more personal side of what I do and why I’m thrilled to be doing it.
My typical day goes something like this:
6:45am Alarm goes off
8:07am Read the news while riding the Lake Street bus to work
8:32am Make magic with an incredible team and inspiring clients
1:21pm Walk to grocery store for lunch (frequently “soupad” → soup over salad, it’s delicious)
2:02pm Meeting on how to draw a friendly, but serious, robot
2:18pm Call about a video to be shown in NC theaters during Star Wars previews
2:39pm Approve friendly-but-serious robot illustrations drawn perfectly by Dayna
2:40pm Deep dive into editing an animation about health care
3:48pm Continued magic-making…
6:32pm Catch the bus home while listening to a podcast
This is pretty much my day, over and over again. And, I bet I could give you 12 reasons off the top of my head of why I do what I do:
- Working with our incredible team who pours their hearts and brains into each second of video
- Making videos that reach the ends of the earth on all kinds of subjects
- The brilliant and hard-working clients with whom we partner
- Coming to work at COCO in Minneapolis
- Selecting the perfect background music track
- Seeing our artists bring images and scripts to life
- Answering sales phone calls
- Team meetings on Mondays
- Dogs in the office
- Seeing a project through from vision to completion
- The reward of exceeding expectations
- Continually striving to improve our processes, as a team
Okay, that took me three minutes but I could keep going.
It it easy work? Occasionally. Is it fun? Usually. Would I rather do anything else? …I don’t think so.